Wesley Rātā Village is a community resource that provides good homes for residents and is a place for Naenae’s community to come and build wellbeing and resilience.
You can find Wesley Rātā Village at 249 Rātā Street in Naenae, on the site of the former WesleyHaven Resthome and Hospital. We are working closely with the community to determine how best to use the site and the buildings on it.
Regular activities at the Village
The village is host to a number of regular activities. These include:
- a regular 10-week Ageing Well programme for lonely and isolated seniors living in the Hutt Valley
- three-week training courses to prepare young unemployed people for jobs in the construction industry run by Kiwi Can Do
- the Rātā Playgroup and the Naenae Forest Playgroup
- a partnership with Brothers & Sisters, a collective of young artists, who are living on the site and play a hosting role to foster more community connection
- community lunches, afternoon teas and activity groups throughout the month
- a partnership with Naenae Nature Trust to make our beautiful native bush accessible to the Naenae community.
What’s on at the Village this month?
Check out our events calendar to find out what’s happening at the Village this month.
Venues for hire
We have a range of venues suitable for workshops, team meetings, planning days or community functions. Find out more.
Wesley Rātā Village Vision Document
We’ve worked with the Naenae community to develop a vision for how to develop the Village. It’s a work in progress – we’ll update it as things change. Download a copy to read the latest version of the vision document.
New community housing project at the Village
In February 2019 we started working on an $8.4m project to build 25 affordable rental homes at Wesley Rātā Village. The homes will be made available to applicants on the Government’s Housing Register for people who have been assessed as eligible for social housing and are waiting to be matched to a house. Read more
Report on the first year at the Village
Our Community Innovation Lead, Kena Duignan, has written a report looking at what’s been happening at Wesley Rātā Village. Tō Tātau Haerenga Whakahou: Wesey Rātā Village Our Journey of Renewal, outlines our progress to date, our theories of change, our collaborations, the lessons we’ve learned and the mahi ahead. It also shares some key facts and figures and some of the stories that bring them to life. Download a copy of the report or download the 2-page summary.
Re-weaving community at Wesley Rātā Village