We’re looking for a volunteer (or volunteers) to help members of our Ageing Well Network who need transport to and from events at Wesley Rātā Village in Naenae.
This enjoyable role working alongside our van driver on Mondays and Tuesdays would suit a friendly person who likes spending time with older people, some of whom have memory impairment or early-stage dementia.
We’re happy for one person to do it on both days, or to have a different volunteer on each day.
- Monday: pickup 12pm to 1pm, drop-off 3pm to 4pm
- Tuesday: pickup 9am to 10am, drop-off 2pm to 3pm.
You’re welcome to stay for the meeting once you arrive at Wesley Rātā Village, or you can come back later to help members get home. We also encourage our volunteers to become a Dementia Friend.
What you’ll do
- Meet the group member at their home in the Hutt Valley area.
- Ensure they have their house key, their coat (if required) and that appliances such as heaters are turned off.
- Escort them to the van and safely guide them up three steps into the van.
- Guide them to their seat and make sure their seatbelt is fastened.
- Help them get out of the van.
- Repeat that process on the return journey to make sure the members get safely into their home.
You’ll need to be reasonably fit as you’ll be opening and closing the van door (and sometimes the back lift-up door) and in some cases you’ll have to lift walking frames into and out of the van.
Police check required
You’ll need to have a police check, but having a previous conviction won’t necessarily rule you out, depending on what the conviction is for.
Sound like you?
For more information contact: Tracey Scott, 027 4322 393