What we do . Supported Independent Living

Supported Independent Living

Community-based support for vulnerable older people living at home

The Supported Independent Living programme provides community-based support to help vulnerable older people keep living safely and well at home.

Our kaimahi work alongside older people who qualify for the programme, providing support and advocacy so they can continue to manage their daily activities. Our social workers can also help older people prepare for the future by making sure they have the necessary legal and financial support.

The Supported Independent Living programme is funded in Wellington by Capital and Coast District Health Board and in the Hutt Valley by Hutt Valley District Health Board.

Who can get support?

To qualify for the Supported Independent Living programme the person must be:

  • over the age of 65 (or 55 for those who are Māori or Pacifica)
  • living alone with little or no family support
  • assessed by Care Coordination, a Needs Assessment Service Coordination agency for older people.

The support we offer

The support we offer through the Supported Independent Living programme includes:

Strength-based social work support: We keep older people at the centre of decision-making by finding out what they want for their life and honouring their wishes.

Advocacy: We help older people to navigate complex systems such as money management, legal support (such as Enduring Power of Attorney) and linking the older person to new social opportunities.

Family matters: We help older people to stay in touch with – or reconnect with – key family members.

Accommodation: We work with Housing NZ, the Wellington City Council and private landlords to sort out any housing issues older people may be having.

Health: We keep track of ongoing health issues and deal with any new health issues.  We also assist older people with GP or hospital visits.

Practical solutions: We help older people find solutions to everyday problems, such as shopping, paying bills, house maintenance and transport.

Getting an assessment

An older person can refer themselves for an assessment with Care Coordination or they can be referred by:

  • their GP or other health professional
  • a family member or a friend.

Care Coordination will undertake a needs assessment and may obtain additional health information from the older person’s GP or from the district health board. If they decide the  older person needs assistance from the Supported Independent Living programme they will refer them to Wesley Community Action’s Elder Care Team.

We’ll allocate a social worker who will work with the older person to create a plan so they can achieve sustainable independent living.

Find out more

For more information about Supported Assisted Living contact Te Waka Haumaru, our Older Persons Team 04 3853727 Extension 1.

Download our SIL brochure 

Contact Care Coordination

Capital and Coast Care Coordination Centre 0800 282 200 or (04) 238 2020 wellington@careco.org.nz

Hutt Valley Service Coordination Centre: 04 566 2226 or 0800 662 225 hutt@careco.org.nz

Contact Te Waka Haumaru, our Older Persons Team

P: 04 385 3727 / Extension 1

Team manager: Claire Booth
E: cbooth@wesleyca.org.nz

75 Taranaki Street
Epworth House
P O Box 9932, Te Aro
Wellington 6141

Hutt Valley
249 Rata Street
Lower Hutt, 5011

6 Tongariro Street, Paraparaumu
Kapiti Coast, 5032