Te Kākano / Family Start is for whānau who want to give their tamariki the best start in life.
Our whānau workers provide free parenting support to anyone who needs it. We work alongside you in your own home, supporting you to identify your strengths as a parent and working with you on changes you want to make.
Our team of whānau workers is based in Porirua – we work with whānau who live in Wellington, Porirua and the Kāpiti Coast.
Who can join up?
Anyone who wants support with parenting and has a pēpi or tamaiti who is one year or under can join up with Te Kākano / Family Start. In some situations, whānau with a child who is older than 12 months can also receive the service.
We can work with you for as long as you need us – anytime from the early stages of your pregnancy right through to when your tamaiti starts school.
How Te Kākano / Family Start works
Once you join up with Te Kākano / Family Start and meet your whānau worker, home visits can start. These can be either weekly or twice a month.
Your whānau worker will:
- help you identify your strengths and needs
- work alongside you to decide on your goals
- support you to maintain a safe environment for your pēpi
- share some fun learning activities you can do together.
How to make a referral
- You can refer yourself or your whānau by getting in touch with Te Kakano / Family Start
- You can be referred by another organisation that is already working with you, or has worked with you in the past, such as your midwife or a Well Child/Tamariki Ora Provider.
Download this form to make a referral or call us on 04 385 3727 Ext 2 or email firstname.lastname@example.org